Wednesday 7 May 2014

I don't know what to call this

I know that it is rather shabby of me to promise to post a piece of good news everyday and then to proceed to disappear for three weeks. On the brighter side, I have learned something about myself: I don't function well with rules, even self-imposed ones, on something I do entirely for pleasure. I love blogging. And while the simple set up I had for the Chronicle was neither too imposing nor too demanding, it still didn't work for me. I didn't like having this force in my head telling me that I had to post everyday because I had promised to do so (however short-lived). I want to post only when I feel I have something really worthwhile to say, and that I can put it well. Of course a blog is just an informal setting, but that is just the way I am. I'd rather not blog than blog something just for the heck of it.

That said, I think I will still post news if I find it inspiring or heartening, whenever I come across it and feel the need to share it. In fact, I might write about news I find interesting too, even if it isn't strictly good news (an interesting fact or finding, for instance). But I think my strength might lie in writing reviews and personal reflections. So I will go back to my old 'format' (if you can call it a format at all) of writing uber-long posts that I feel certain contain something of interest or value, when I feel I am able put things across particularly well. I am very vain about this, you see: I don't like any writing of mine appearing half-baked. It needs to be as polished as I can make it. I'm all for a degree of informality, and certainly of honesty, but that has nothing to do with making sure your writing flows well and sounds good, does it?

Anyway, a little contrary to what I've been saying here, I don't really have anything in particular to say in this post. I just wanted to make an appearance to show you guys that I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth or anything - although if you've read my blog for a while you'll know that sudden, long breaks between posts aren't really all that surprising, and that this one has been comparatively short. I'm in the last two weeks of this semester, and there are finals coming up. It is entirely possible that I will once again disappear and only re-emerge once I've reached India for my summer holidays and all work is safely out of the way. I will be reviewing L M Montgomery's A Tangled Web for the Shiny New Books newsletter then, which I'm very excited about! Check out the website guys, it's pretty awesome - I found it because I read Simon's blog (he is one of the co-founders). I asked if I could write a review as a guest contributor and he very kindly said yes, so...

Can't wait for the holidays! I do wish more of you had taken my polls. I had 2 respondents. It was pretty sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment