Friday 4 April 2014

The Good News Chronicle and a Serialized Story


Hey everybody,

I have two ideas for this blog in addition to what I already do. I will continue to post book reviews and general reflections, but I also want to start two series of posts:

1. The Good News Chronicle: I am of the opinion that our news sources are overrun by tragic and catastrophic events. In other words, our 'news' seems to be almost exclusively bad news. This seems to me unfair. Of course we need to know what's happening in the world, but surely there's some good news somewhere? Why are we so disproportionately shown the terrible side of things? Sensationalism? I don't know about you, but I have no desire to become cynical and apathetic. I believe in hope and idealism, because it isn't the cynics who change the world; it is the idealists and visionaries. With that in mind, I have decided to consciously look for the good things. I will post one piece of good news everyday - it could be about an organization helping people, about a medical or scientific advance, a newly invented ecological alternative, acts of kindness - anything that makes you smile and think - ah, humanity is alive.

2. Serialized Story: I'm sure you all realize by now that I enjoy writing. This semester, I'm taking a Creative Writing class, which has been a lot of fun so far. With a view to develop my skills, and also to decide exactly how much and what kind of talent I possess, I have decided to begin a story here, on my blog. I have begun original stories and novels before, but they haven't always developed very well. So for this, my first really serious attempt at a long story (maybe even of novel length, who knows?), I have decided to recast a very well known fairy tale in my own mold: Cinderella. My Cinderella concentrates not on fairy godmothers and perfect princess, but on one extremely intelligent young woman who is determined to make it out of a very bad situation: at almost any cost. It will not have much to do with the original fairy tale except for the premise of a fatherless woman forced to live under the thumb of a cruel stepmother. We'll see how it goes.

For an example of what my Good News Chronicle will look like:

Scientists have found that 'Earth is not the only orb with oceans.' (The Economist) In 2005, American spacecraft Cassini saw water shooting into space from cracks in the surface of Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. This may mean that Enceladus has an ice-covered ocean on its surface.

Read more at: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/179834-saturns-moon-enceladus-has-a-huge-ocean-of-liquid-water-scientists-confirm
and
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21600083-planetary-science?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/pe/planetaryscience

I am aware that 'good news' today was more interesting and speculative than 'good' per se, but I thought it would be a good start. I personally prefer events of large impact to individual acts of goodness and kindness.

Tell me what you think of both ideas in the comments below, or on Facebook or Google Plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment