Saturday 13 July 2013

Atlas Shrugged

I was going to finish the Krishna Coriolis series before moving on to other books, but I realized that I have to write an essay on Atlas Shrugged for a competition, and delaying further would not be a good idea.

I kept putting this off, because I thought that a book so famous, and supposed to contain the essence of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism, would be dull and heavy. I feared that it would be like the other 'great' works I've read in the past two years: that it would be another God of Small Things. I feared that I would have to struggle to see the point, to convince myself of its greatness because the 'experts' said so and because I would have to write on it. The size scared me off, and the reputation made me apprehensive.

I was wrong.

Atlas Shrugged belied my every expectation. I find myself enraptured by it, engrossed by it, unable to put it down and unable to stop thinking about it. I sympathize so strongly with Dagny and Rearden that I cannot help but race along the book impatiently, flipping every once in a while to the 1069th page in despair. I cannot remember the last time I felt simultaneously that I needed to know how it ended and yet not want it to end. I do not know yet whether I agree or disagree with Ayn Rand's thinking, whether I agree partially, whether I disagree completely, but I know that Atlas Shrugged is a work of brilliance, truly a 'masterwork,' an awe-inspiring achievement that I will revisit many times hence, and that will inspire thought in me that will never cease, because there is so much to think about and so much to admire. I bow down before a mind so immense that it can write a book 1069 pages long, with a plot so compelling that I am bewitched by it. There may be flaws in Ayn Rand's philosophy. There must definitely be critics of it. But I am not far enough away yet to look at her work dispassionately, so I am sure that what I am writing right now must read as a tribute to her literary merit. Perhaps after a while, when I have finished reading and had time to think of other things, I can look at it more objectively, but right now I am in thrall of Rand's immediate message, of her belief that a man is 'a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.'

4 comments:

  1. Atlas Shrugged is one of my all-time favorite books...one of those books I think every one should read at least once. I find it a very engrossing, hard-t-put-down, gets-inside-of-you book, too. Dagny is an amazing woman, tough and smart and fearless; and I think I have a crush on Francisco D'Anconia. I'm glad you liked this book, too. Good luck on your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree, I think its a book everyone should read at least once. Dagny is amazing. I think she's stronger than most of the male characters in the book. I don't know the secret behind the mystery that is Francisco D'Anconia yet, though. I know there's more than meets the eye there.

    I'm so glad you're still reading my blog! Do you think I'm able to keep up the quality of my posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. You do a really good job on all of your posts.

      Delete